Monday, October 1, 2007

Amy Tan and Burma

I love reading Amy Tan. I started off, many years ago, with The Joy Luck Club and it probably encouraged my liking for other Oriental-themed books. She recently came out with Saving Fish From Drowning, something that is quite different from her usual works. This is one of the many books I purchased during the National Bookstore book sale that I recently finished.

Honestly, I was quite bored at the start but I just patiently read more until the story and its characters stated to mix together well. It's about tourists from the US who "disappeared" while touring Burma, or now known as Myanmar. Whatever happened to them and all their side stories were narrated by this Chinese art-lover and socialite who's dead. She was supposed to join the group but passed away unexpectedly and joined the tour "in spirit".

What is more interesting is that current events are now talking about the demand for democracy in Myanmar led by the monks. The book touched on the military junta and their suppressing regime. The book was just apropos. I suppose if not for the book, I would not have been interested in what is happening in that part of the world which recently have been detailed in the news websites.

Interesting no?


No comments: